CITY OF PARIS BUILDING
It was 1850 when the Verdier brothers, immigrants from France, opened a store aboard the ship La Ville de Paris to serve the Argonauts passing through San Francisco's harbor. In 1896 the business, which stayed in the family for over a century and a quarter, moved into a new building designed by architect Clinton Day, damaged by the 1906 earthquake, its interior was reconstructed by architects John Bakewell and Arthur J. Brown. The old City of Paris building was one of the finest examples of the beaux-arts style of commercial building in California. This property was also listed in the National Regsiter of Historic Places on 1/23/75.
Registration Date: 1/13/1975
City: San Francisco
County: San Francisco
SE corner of Geary and Stockton Sts, San Francisco
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing