FIRST U.S. NAVAL STATION IN THE PACIFIC
Mare Island Navy Yard was established September 16, 1854 by Commander David G. Farragut, U.S.N., on a site selected in 1852 by a commission headed by Commodore John D. Sloat, U.S.N. Mare Island had the Navy's first shipyard, ammunition depot, hospital, Marine barracks, cemetery, chapel, and radio station in the Pacific.
Registration Date: 10/11/1960
Entrance to Mare island Naval Shipyard, main gate, SW corner of Tennessee St and Mare Island Way, Vallejo
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing