Here in the valley of the Cul-luh-mah Indians, James W. Marshall discovered gold on January 24, 1848, in the tailrace of Sutter's sawmill. The old Coloma Road, opened in 1847 from Sutter's Fort to Coloma, was used by Marshall to carry the news of the discovery to Captain John A. Sutter. During the gold rush, it was used by thousands of miners going to and from the diggings. In 1849 it became the route of California's first stage line, established by James E. Birch.
Registration Date: 7/5/1960
County: El Dorado
Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, in Gold Discovery parking area, State Hwy 49, Coloma
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing