COLOMA ROAD AT SUTTER'S FORT

Historical Landmark

Description:
Sutter's Fort, established by Capt. John A. Sutter in August 1839, marked the western end of the Coloma Road. Opened in 1847, this road ran from the fort to Sutter's sawmill at Coloma. Used by James W. Marshall in January 1848 to bring the news of the gold discovery to Sutter, it was traversed later by thousands of miners going to and from the diggings. In 1849 the Coloma Road became the route of California's first stageline, established by James E. Birch.


Registration Date: 7/5/1960

Location:
City: Sacramento
County: Sacramento

Directions:
NE corner of 28th and L Sts, Sacramento


Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing