MORMON TAVERN-OVERLAND PONY EXPRESS ROUTE IN CALIFORNIA

Historical Landmark

Description:
At this site on the old Clarksville-White Rock Emigrant Road was Mormon Tavern. Constructed in 1849, this popular stage stop was enlarged and operated by Franklin Winchell in 1851. It became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express and on April 4, 1860, pony rider Sam (Bill) Hamilton changed horses here on the first eastbound trip.


Registration Date: 9/11/1959

Location:
City: Clarksville
County: El Dorado

Directions:
On frontage rd adjacent to State Hwy 50 (P.M. 1.5), take El Dorado Hills Blvd S for 0.5 mi to old White Rd (rd to Clarksville), then NE 0.9 mi, then go W 0.3 mi on PG&E Clarksville Substation Rd to plaque, 0.5 mi W of Clarksville
MORMON TAVERN-OVERLAND PONY EXPRESS ROUTE IN CALIFORNIA

MORMON TAVERN-OVERLAND PONY EXPRESS ROUTE IN CALIFORNIA



Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing