El CAMPO SANTO
El Campo Santo once included the adobe chapel on Conde Street, in which were buried José Antonio Aguirre, María Victoria Domínguez Estudillo and Cave Johnson Couts, distinguished early San Diegans. Between 1849 and 1897, 477 persons were buried in these grounds. Antonio Garra was the most eminent of many Native Americans interred here. A number of graves were relocated after 1874. A street railway bisected the cemetery in 1894. The wall around this portion was built in 1933. Restoration has continued to the present (1994).
Registration Date: 12/6/1932
City: San Diego
County: San Diego
On San Diego Ave between Arista and Conde Sts, San Diego, plaque currently in storage
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing