PLAZA, SAN DIEGO VIEJO (WASHINGTON SQUARE)
This plaza was established as the center of the Mexican Pueblo of San Diego which elected its first ajuntamiento in 1834. On July 29, 1846, at 4 p.m., Lieutenant Stephen C. Rowan, U.S.N., from the U.S. sloop-of-war Cyane, raised the American flag over the plaza.
Registration Date: 12/6/1932
City: San Diego
County: San Diego
Old Town Plaza (Washington Square), Old Town San Diego State Historic Park
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing