FORT MILLER

Historical Landmark

Description:
Now inundated by Millerton Lake, Fort Miller was established in 1852 as a temporary headquarters for the Commissioners during the latter part of the Mariposa Indian War. The peace treaty was signed there April 29, 1851. The first recorded religious services in the Fresno area were performed here on October 21, 1855 by Right Reverend William Ingraham Kip, first Protestant Episcopal Bishop of California. The village of Rootville grew into the town of Millerton and became the first seat of Fresno County in 1856.


Registration Date: 5/22/1957

Location:
City: Friant
County: Fresno

Directions:
South shore of Millerton Lake State Recreation Area, adjacent to Millerton historical courthouse, Friant


Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing