CARPINTERIA AND INDIAN VILLAGE OF MISHOPSHNOW

Historical Landmark

Description:
The Chumash Indian village of Mishopshnow, discovered by Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo on August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of the monument. Fray Juan Crespí of the Gaspar de Portolá Expedition named it San Roque on August 17, 1769. Portolá's soldiers, observing the Indians building wooden canoes, called the village La Carpinteria-the Carpenter's Shop.


Registration Date: 5/31/1955

Location:
City: Carpinteria
County: Santa Barbara

Directions:
Carpinteria Valley Museum of History, 950 Maple Ave, second plaque located at 1,000 S Carpinteria Ave, Carpinteria


Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing