ANGEL ISLAND

Historical Landmark

Description:
In 1775, the packet San Carlos, first known Spanish ship to enter San Francisco Bay, anchored in this cove. While here, the commander, Lieut. Juan Manuel de Ayala, directed the first survey of the bay. This island, which Ayala named Isla de los Angeles, has been a Mexican rancho, a U.S. military post, a bay defense site, and a quarantine and immigration station.


Registration Date: 3/7/1955

Location:
City: Angel Island
County: Marin

Directions:
Hospital Cove, Angel Island State Park


Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing