SAN DIEGO BARRACKS

Historical Landmark

Description:
New San Diego was established as a quartermaster depot by Captain Nathaniel Lyon, 2nd U.S. Infantry, in 1850-51 to supply military establishments in Southern California. The name of the post was changed from New San Diego to San Diego Barracks by General Orders No. 2, Military Division of the Pacific, San Francisco, April 5, 1879. San Diego Barracks continued to operate as a subpost of Fort Rosecrans until abandoned December 15, 1921.


Registration Date: 11/1/1954

Location:
City: San Diego
County: San Francisco

Directions:
Parking lot on N side of Market St. (St Hwy 163), block bounded by Kettner Blvd & California St, San Diego
SAN DIEGO BARRACKS



Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing