MISSION DAM AND FLUME
After many attempts dated back to 1774 to provide a reliable source of water for crops and livestock for Mission San Diego de Alcala, a dam and flume system was finished between 1813 and 1816 by Indian laborers and Franciscan Missionaries to divert waters of the San Diego River for a distance of 6 miles. The aqueduct system continued in existence until 1831 when constant flooding caused the dam and flume to fall into disrepair. They were not repaired due to secularization of the missions.
Registration Date: 12/6/1932
City: San Diego
County: San Diego
In parking lot on N side of Fr. Junipero Serra Trail in Mission Trails Regional Park near NE entrance, San Diego
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing