FORT ROSS

Historical Landmark

Description:
Founded in 1812 by Russians from Alaska. When Russians withdrew to Alaska in 1841, Captain Sutter bought the improvements and supplies. The State acquired the fort in 1906 and the remaining buildings-Greek Orthodox Chapel, Commandant's Quarters, and Stockade-were restored. The chapel, destroyed by fire in 1970, was reconstructed in 1974. This propertyw as also listed in the National Register of Historic Places on 10/15/66.


Registration Date: 6/1/1932

Location:
City: Jenner
County: Sonoma

Directions:
19005 Coast Hwy, State Hwy 1 (P.M. 33.0), 12 mi N of Jenner


Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing