Los Coches Rancho (8,994.2 acres) was granted to María Josefa Soberanes de Richardson by the Mexican government in 1841. Her husband, William Brunner Richardson, a native of Baltimore, Maryland, built the adobe house here in 1843, and planted the nearby locust trees in 1846. This was the site of Captain John C. Frémont's encampment in 1846 and 1847, the adobe was later used as a stage station and post office. It was donated to the State of California in 1958 by Margaret Jacks.
Registration Date: 10/17/1951
Los Coches Rancho Wayside Campground, NW corner of State Hwy 101 (P.M. 60.5) and Arroyo Seco Rd, 1.5 mi S of Soledad
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing