BRIDGEPORT (NYES CROSSING) COVERED BRIDGE
Built in 1862 by David Isaac John Wood with lumber from his mill in Sierra County, this bridge was part of the Virginia Turnpike Company toll road which served the northern mines and the busy Nevada Comstock Lode. Utilizing a combination truss and arch construction, it is one of the oldest housed spans in the west and the longest single-span wood-covered bridge in the United States.
Registration Date: 8/26/1947
City: French Corral
W side of Pleasant Valley Rd at S Fork of the Yuba River 2.7 mi S of French Corral
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing