FORT READING

Historical Landmark

Description:
Fort Reading, established on May 26, 1852 by Second Lieutenant E. N. Davis, Co. E, 2nd Infantry on the orders of Lieutenant Colonel George M. Wright, was the first and largest fort in Northern California. It was named in honor of Pierson Barton Reading and stood in a clearing of 10 acres. The fort was abandoned in June 1867.


Registration Date: 1/3/1944

Location:
City: Anderson
County: Shasta

Directions:
0.6 mi E of intersection of Deschutes and Dersch Rds, 6 mi NE of Anderson


Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing