CHAPEL OF SANTA YSABEL (SITE OF)

Historical Landmark

Description:
The first mass at a site nearby was celebrated September 20, 1818 by Father Fernando Martin. By 1822, Santa Ysabel was an asistencia, or mission outpost, that had a chapel, a granary, several houses, a cemetery, and about 450 neophytes. After secularization in the 1830s, priestly visits became rare. When the roof caved in, after 1850, ramadas were erected against one wall and services were held there. Tradition asserts this site has been used for religious services since 1818. The present chapel was constructed in 1924.


Registration Date: 4/3/1940

Location:
City: Santa Ysabel
County: San Diego

Directions:
On State Hwy 79 (P.M. 21.8), 1.4 mi N of Santa Ysabel


Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing