CAMP INDEPENDENCE (FORT)

Historical Landmark

Description:
At the request of settlers, Colonel George Evans led a military expedition to this site on July 4, 1862. Hence its name 'Independence.' Indian hostilities ceased and the camp closed. War again broke out in 1865 and the camp was reoccupied as Fort Independence until its abandonment in 1877. This fort made possible the early settlements in the Owens Valley.


Registration Date: 10/9/1939

Location:
City: Independence
County: Inyo

Directions:
500 ft W of intersection of Miller Ln and Salvabell Ln, 3 mi NE of Independence


Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing