In the spring of 1848, the old Central or Long Wharf was built 'from the bank in the middle of the block between Sacramento and Clay Streets, where Leidesdorff Street now is, 800 feet into the Bay.' After 1850 it was extended 2,000 feet and the Pacific mail steamers and other large vessels anchored there. Central or Long Wharf is now Commercial Street.
Registration Date: 8/8/1939
City: San Francisco
County: San Francisco
Intersection of Leidesdorff and Commercial Sts, San Francisco
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing