VOLCANO

Historical Landmark

Description:
The spot was discovered in 1848 by Colonel Stevenson's men, who mined Soldiers Gulch in 1849. By 1853 the flats and gulches swarmed with men who named them picturesquely. Hydraulic operations, begun in 1855, brought thousands of fortune seekers to form a town of 17 hotels, a library, a theater, and courts of quick justice. During the Civil War, Volcano's gold served the Union - Volcano Blues smuggled the cannon 'Old Abe' in by hearse to quell rebels.


Registration Date: 8/1/1932

Location:
City: Volcano 
County: Amador

Directions:
Intersection of Main and Consolation Sts, Volcano 
VOLCANO



Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing