In 1852 a chain cable bridge replaced the ferries that once crossed here, to be supplanted in its turn by a covered truss structure in 1862. Some writers claimed this was the locale of Bret Harte's Poker Flat. In late '49 there was a large camp here, with miners washing gold out on both banks of the Stanislaus River.
Registration Date: 1/8/1938
On County Hwy 48 (P.M. 0.3), O'Byrne Ferry Rd, 71 mi SE of Copperopolis
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing