OLD SITES OF MISSION SANTA CLARA DE ASIS AND OLD SPANISH BRIDGE

Historical Landmark

Description:
The first mission in this valley, Mission Santa Clara de Thamien, was established at this site by Franciscan Padres Tomás de la Peña and Joseph Antonio Marguia January 17, 1777. Here, at the Indian village of So-co-is-u-ka, they erected a cross and shelter for worship to bring Christianity to the Costanoan Indians.


Registration Date: 9/3/1937

Location:
City: Santa Clara
County: Santa Clara

Directions:
SE corner of Central Expressway and De la Cruz Blvd, Santa Clara


Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing