PIONEER HOUSE OF THE MOTHER COLONY
Anaheim's first house, built in 1857 by Founder George Hanson. 'The Mother Colony,' a German group that left San Francisco to form a grape-growing colony in Southern California, selected the name given to this settlement. The vineyards, which became the largest in California, were destroyed by disease in 1885. The colony then started producing Valencia oranges. Here once resided actress Helena Modjeska and Henryk Sienkiewicz, author of Quo Vadis.
Registration Date: 6/20/1935
414 N West St near Sycamore St, Anaheim
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing