MISSION SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO
NPS Number: 71000170
Founded in 1776 by Padre Junípero Serra, this is the seventh in the chain of 21 missions established in Alta California to christianize and civilize the Indians. The stone church was destroyed in 1812 earthquake. Expropriated during Mexican rule, the mission was returned to the Catholic church in 1865 by proclamation of President Abraham Lincoln. This property was also listed in the National Register of Historic Places on 9/3/71.
Registration Date: 6/20/1935
City: San Juan Capistrano
NW corner of Ortega Hwy and Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing