The adobe-and-wood Larkin House was built in 1835 by Thomas Oliver Larkin, a Yankee merchant who came to California in April 1832. Since Larkin was the only U.S. consul to California under Mexican rule, his home became the American consulate from 1844 to 1846, and it was also used as military headquarters by Kearny, Mason, and Sherman.
Registration Date: 3/29/1933
Monterey State Historic Park, SW corner of Jefferson and Calle Principal, Monterey
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing