GILROY YAMATO HOT SPRINGS RESORT
NPS Number: 95000906
Under the guidance of the George Roop and William McDonald families during the years of 1865 of Francisco Cantua's discovery to the 1930s, Gilroy Hot Springs was a popular health and family resort oriented around a single hot mineral spring located near Coyote Creek. In 1938 the resort was purchased by H.K. Sakata, a successful Japanese American farmer from Watsonville. Renamed the Gilroy Yamato Hot Springs, it was the only Japanese American owned commercial hot springs in California. The resort served as a recreational and spiritual center for Japanese Americans before World War II and briefly as a hostel after the war for those returning from internment camps.
Registration Date: 5/30/1995
County: Santa Clara
9.5 mi NE of junction of New Ave and Roop Rd on Hot Springs Rd, Gilroy
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing