Museum Hours: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tickets sold until 4:30 p.m.
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day
Train Operating Hours: Departures on the hour 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Excursion trains run weekends April through September. Sacramento Southern Railroad Trains depart from the Central Pacific Freight Depot in Old Sacramento located at Front & "K" Streets.
California State Railroad Museum Point of Interest
As State Parks increases access to the State Park System, it is critical that Californians continue to recreate responsibly in the outdoors as the pandemic is far from over.
Please take the time to read the information contained on this webpage to find out what is open and closed, and the COVID-19 guidelines for this park unit.
What is open now?
- The museum is open with modifications. Most exhibits are open and accessible.
What is currently closed at this park and throughout the State Park System?
At this park:
- Guide led tours are not available at this time. The child play area, all hands-on exhibits and close quartered exhibits are closed.
- Some park units and campground sites continue to be temporarily closed due to the pandemic, impacts from wildfires or other issues. Please visit the webpage of your local outdoor destination to find out if it is open.
- High public-use indoor facilities, including museums and visitor centers.
- Special events and tours continue to be canceled until further notice.
Are there any new visitor guidelines?
State Parks has implemented the following guidelines to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 in the outdoors:
- Plan Ahead: The ongoing pandemic response continues to be dynamic and fluid. Prior to leaving home, check the webpage of your destination you plan to visit to find out if it is open, if parking is available, and what visitor guidelines are in effect.
- Stay Safer at Six Feet: No matter the recreational activity, maintain a physical distance of six feet or more. If there are too many people to maintain the required physical distance, please visit us on a different day.
- Keep Clean: Be prepared as not all services may be available. Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer. Please pack out all trash.
- Stay Covered: The state requires you to wear a face covering when you cannot maintain a physical distance of six feet or more. Individuals must have a face covering with them at all times.
Although law enforcement entities have the authority to issue citations, the expectation is that the public is responsible for adhering to the advice of public health officials, visitor guidelines and closures.
California State Parks continues to work with local and state officials on a phased and regionally driven approach to increase access to state park units where compliance with state and local public health ordinances can be achieved. However, the situation remains fluid and park operations can change at any time. For information on statewide current closures and available services, please visit parks.ca.gov/FlattenTheCurve.
The California State Railroad Museum (CSRM) in Old Sacramento is the world-class tribute to the role of the "iron horse" in connecting California to the rest of the nation. Our museum features 21 lavishly restored locomotives and cars, some dating back to 1862. There is a full-scale diorama of an 1860s construction site high in the Sierra Nevada as well as a bridge elevated 24 feet above the museum floor.
California State Railroad Museum Excursion Trains run from April through September (select dates October through December), where you can take a ride behind an authentic locomotive in Old Sacramento. When you climb aboard the Museum’s Sacramento Southern Railroad you enjoy a relaxing 45-minute, 6-mile roundtrip ride along the levees of the Sacramento River. Experience the sights, smells, and sounds of a real, working locomotive as it pulls vintage passenger coaches and converted freight cars.
Excursion Trains depart Saturdays and Sundays, on-the-hour 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., from our reconstructed Central Pacific Freight Depot. 2015 is the 32th year the State Railroad Museum has operated our excursion trains. Excursion train tickets are $12 adults, $6 youths (ages 6-17), ages 5 and under ride free. For more information call (916) 323-9280.
Location and Parking:
Summer and spring are warm; fall and winter can be cool. Layered clothing is advised.
C. P. Huntington, Southern Pacific Railroad Steam Locomotive No. 1,
at the California State Railroad Museum
We welcome photography for personal use.
Handheld flash is allowed; however tripods and free standing flash are not permitted for safety reasons.
Commercial photography is allowed on a case by case basis by advance arrangement. Visit www.film.ca.gov for more information.
Trains & Tripods: A Morning for Photographers at the Museum is a special event offered at the California State Railroad Museum in coordination with its non-profit partner, the California State Railroad Museum Foundation. Tripods and handheld flash are allowed during this event.