6:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Doheny State Beach
What is open now?
- Day-use and beach access.
- All camping facilities.
- All day-use parking lots are open.
- Filming permits.
What is currently closed?
- Visitor Center/aquarium.
- In-park interpretation and education programs.
- Reservations for group day-use facilities.
- Special Events.
Protect yourself, family, friends and your community by following these prevention measures:
- Know Before You Go – Prior to leaving home, check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. Have a back-up plan in case your destination is crowded. Stay home if you are sick
- Plan Ahead – Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer.
- Play It Safe – Find out what precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors, especially if this is your first time visiting the State Park System. Learn more at parks.ca.gov/SafetyTips.
- Be COVID-19 Safe – State Parks continues to meet guidance from local and state public officials as COVID-19 is still present and still deadly. Current state guidance requires that masks must be worn in all indoor public settings, such as museums and visitor centers, irrespective of vaccine status through February 15, 2022. Read the latest COVID-19 guidance at COVID19.ca.gov.
Doheny State Beach is located in the city of Dana Point, California and is one of California's most popular state beaches and attracts almost one million visitors per year. Doheny has a day use surfing beach at its northern end and a five-acre lawn with picnic facilities and volleyball courts.
The southern end of the state beach has campgrounds, with some of the campsites only steps away from the beach. The state beach has tide pools and a visitor center with several aquariums. Surf fishing is also popular among visitors.
The beach property was donated by oil tycoon Edward L. Doheny for public use in 1931 and was California's first state beach. It was official named Doheny State Beach in 1963.
Surfline provides an internet source of beach weather and surf reports, including live streaming video feeds, and is Proud Partner of California State Parks.
Additional Visitor Services
Location - Directions
Doheny State Beach is at 25300 Dana Point Harbor Drive, Dana Point, CA, 92629, approximately one mile north of I-5 and about three miles from the San Juan Capistrano Mission.
Doheny State Beach aquatic safety is provided by the California State Parks Lifeguard Service. Lifeguards patrol the beach year-round while lifeguard towers are staffed roughly Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend.
Lifeguard Program Supervisor:
Mark Allen LGSII