Call the park
Millerton Lake State Recreation Area
Here are some guidelines for people visiting Millerton Lake State Recreation Area:
What is open now?
- Day-use areas and parking.
- Boat Launch.
- Marina Access.
- Campground will open June 22. For more information about camping, visit www.parks.ca.gov/COVID19Camping. To make a reservation, visit www.ReserveCalifornia.com or call 800-444-7275. Reservations must be made 48 hours in advance of arrival date.
What is currently closed at this park and throughout the State Park System?
- Group and Horse Campgrounds.
- Special events and public gatherings continue to be canceled until further notice.
- Many campgrounds across the state remain closed until further notice. Some campgrounds have started to reopen with modifications. For more information, please visit www.parks.ca.gov/COVID19Camping.
- Many high public-use indoor facilities, including museums and visitor centers.
- Special events and tours continue to be canceled until further notice.
Are there any new visitor guidelines?
Yes, please see below:
- Stay Local: Stay close to home. Walk or bike into the park. Parking is very limited. Do not take road trips to parks and beaches or to neighboring states.
- Stay Active: Keep walking, jogging, hiking and biking. Watch for one-way trails.
- Stay Safer at 6 Feet: Maintain a physical distance of 6 feet or more. Gatherings, picnics and parties are not allowed. Visitors will be asked to leave if there are too many people at the park, beach or on trails to allow for the required physical distance.
- Stay Clean: Be prepared. Bring soap/sanitizer and pack out all trash.
- Stay Covered: The state now requires you to wear a face covering in most indoor settings and public outdoor spaces when you cannot maintain physical distancing of six feet or more from people outside of your immediate household. For details, please visit CDPH’s guidance here. Visitors should also abide by their local county health orders.
Thank you for your patience and continued support of California State Parks as we work to limit your risk for exposure to COVID-19 in the outdoors. For more information, please visit parks.ca.gov/FlattenTheCurve.
Millerton Lake SRA in the top 45 Greatest Lakes on www.californiasgreatestlakes.com.
For more information, click HERE.
With over 40 miles of shore land for water sports, this SRA offers visitors swimming, fishing, and boating. The hills surrounding the lake provide good hiking opportunities. Wildlife in the park includes ground squirrels, cottontails, mule deer, badgers and bald and golden eagles. During winter, the park has special boat tours to view the bald eagles.
The lake was created by construction of the Friant Dam across the San Joaquin River in 1944. The parks camping facilities include boat camping. The park contains the original Millerton County Courthouse, built in 1867.
Location - Directions
The area is 20 miles northeast of Fresno via Highway 41 and Highway 145.
The weather can be changeable; layered clothing is recommended.