Call the park
Garrapata State Park
SOBERANES FIRE AND WINTER STORMS INFORMATION
News Release Areas of Garrapata State Park to Remain Closed
Soberanes Fire and Winter Storm Information - Big Sur Area Parks
Updated August 23, 2017
Andrew Molera State Park
- Now open for shuttle parking and day-hiking on the west side of Highway 1. Open trails include the Bobcat Trail, Creamery Meadow Trail (to the beach), Ridge Trail, Panorama Trail, Spring Trail and Bluffs Trail. Trail Camp/Headlands Trail is closed. Trails on the east side of Highway 1 are closed. The campground is closed.
- Molera Horseback Tours is open for limited rides. Click here for more information on horseback tours.
- For information on Ventana Wildlife Society, please click here.
Garrapata State Park
- Open: Park lands west of highway 1 including Garrapata Beach open with the exception of Gates 8 & 9.
- Closed: All park lands east of Highway 1 closed to public entry.
Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
- Open for limited day use. Trails on the west side of Highway 1 are open. This includes the Overlook Trail and Partington Cove Trail. Trails on the east side of Highway 1 are closed. Ewoldsen, Canyon, Tanbark, Waters and the Tinhouse Fire Road Trails are closed. The campground is closed. Highway 1 is only accessible by vehicle from Nacimiento-Fergusson Road.
Limekiln State Park
- Open, but Highway 1 is only accessible by vehicle from Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. Please use a map to check your route before travelling. Be advised that RVs and trailers are not allowed on Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd and that diesel fuel is not available.
Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park
- Open: Big Sur Lodge is open. More information: Big Sur Lodge.
- The park is now open. Trails that are open to the public include: Buzzards Roost, Valley View, Redwood Deck, Nature Trail, River Path, Warden’s Path, Liewald Flat Trail. Group Camp is closed and not available for reservation until further notice. Pfeiffer Falls, Pine Ridge, Gorge and Mt. Manuel trails are CLOSED due to hazardous conditions
Point Sur Light Station Historic State Park
- Open: Guided tours are available. More Information: Point Sur Lighthouse.
Point Lobos State Natural Reserve
The park has two miles of beach front, with coastal hiking and a 50-foot climb to a beautiful view of the Pacific. The park offers diverse coastal vegetation with trails running from ocean beaches into dense redwood groves. The park also features outstanding coastal headlands at Soberanes Point. Sea lions, harbor seals and sea otters frequent the coastal waters and California gray whales pass close by during their yearly migration.
The park is located on Highway 1, 6.7 miles south of Rio Road in Carmel (18 miles north of Big Sur).
The weather can be changeable. Layered clothing is advised.
Dogs are only allowed on Garrapata Beach and must be kept on a leash (6-foot maximum length) at all times. Observe all posted park signs.
Available Activities and Facilities at Garrapata State Park
Nature & Wildlife Viewing