Current Conditions for All Big Sur Area Parks
Updated June 20, 2017
ALERT: As of February 15, Highway 1 is impassable in both directions at Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge (about half a mile south of the Big Sur Station). The bridge has been demolished and is being rebuilt. Anticipated re-opening for through-traffic is the end of September, 2017. Currently, northern access to Big Sur is open from Carmel to the Big Sur Station. Businesses are open. South of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge, access is still closed on Highway 1 at Ragged Point. Nacimiento-Fergusson Road is open to the public, allowing public access to Highway 1 between Gorda and Limekiln State Park. Check traffic conditions before driving at the Caltrans website.
* GARRAPATA State Park is open on the west side of Highway 1. All park lands east of Highway 1 closed to public entry, due to the 2016 Soberanes Fire.
* POINT SUR LIGHT STATION is open for guided tours, though tours may be cancelled due to weather conditions and road closures. More info: www.pointsur.org or (831) 625-4419
* ANDREW MOLERA State Park is closed until further notice due to flooding and damage from recent storms.
* PFEIFFER BIG SUR State Park is open for limited use as of May 19, 2017. Main Camp campsites 131-189 will be open to the public on a first-come first-served basis with a 7 day maximum. Day use lots 1 & 2, along with the picnic areas and restrooms adjacent to these lots will be open. Trails that are open to the public include: Redwood Deck, Nature Trail, River Path, Warden’s Path, Liewald Flat Trail. CLOSED: Group Camp is closed and not available for reservation until further notice. Buzzards Roost, Valley View, Pfeiffer Falls, Pine Ridge, Gorge and Mt. Manuel trails are CLOSED due to hazardous conditions. Follow on Facebook for more up-to-date information. BIG SUR LODGE IS OPEN.
* JULIA PFEIFFER BURNS State Park is closed until further notice.
* LIMEKILN State Park is now open, but Highway 1 is only accessible by vehicle from Nacimiento Fergusson Road. Please use a map to check your route before travelling. Once you get to Highway 1, the only public access is between Gorda (PM 10) to the south, and Limekiln State Park (PM 20) to the north. The remainder of Highway 1 remains closed due to land slides.
For more State Park information and updates on current conditions, please call the California State Parks Big Sur Sector Office at (831) 667-1112 or the Big Sur Station at (831) 667-2315. Check the CalTrans website for up-to-date road conditions on Highway 1.
* PFEIFFER BEACH is closed until further notice due to flooding and road damage. Call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 for more information regarding Pfeiffer Beach.
* PINE RIDGE TRAIL, SYKES HOT SPRINGS and much of the Monterey Ranger District within the Los Padres Forest in Big Sur is closed until December 4, 2017. See the Forest Order for more details or call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 for more information.
California State Parks contracts with Parks Management Company to operate the park.
The park features breathtaking views of the Big Sur Coast, the beauty of the redwoods, the rugged coast and the cultural history of limekilns. The park has 24 campsites.
The park is 56 miles south of Carmel, off Highway One; two miles south of Lucia.
The weather can be changeable. Layered clothing is advised.