Limekiln State Park is now open, but Hwy 1 is only accessible by vehicle from Nacimiento Fergusson Road via G14 from Hwy 101 through Lockwood. Please use a map to check your route before travelling, as Google Maps and GPS systems are currently giving unreliable directions due to slides and closures on SR1. Once you get to SR1, the only public access along Highway 1 is to Gorda (PM 10) to the south, and to Limekiln State Park (PM 20) to the north. The remainder of SR1 remains closed due to land slides.
Current Conditions for All Big Sur Area Parks
Updated March 24, 2017
ALERT: As of February 15, Highway 1 is impassable in both directions at Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge (about half a mile south of the Big Sur Station). The bridge has been demolished and is being rebuilt. Anticipated re-opening for through-traffic is around Sept/Oct 2017. Currently, northern access to Big Sur is open from Carmel to the Big Sur Station. Businesses are open. Most State Parks and trails remain closed. South of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge, access is still closed on Highway 1 at Ragged Point. Nacimiento-Fergusson Road is open to the public, allowing public access to Highway 1 between Gorda and Limekiln State Park. Check traffic conditions before driving at the Caltrans website.
* GARRAPATA State Park is open on the west side of Highway 1. All park lands east of Highway 1 closed to public entry, due to the 2016 Soberanes Fire.
* POINT SUR LIGHT STATION is open for guided tours, though tours may be cancelled due to weather conditions and road closures. More info: www.pointsur.org or (831) 625-4419
* ANDREW MOLERA State Park is closed until further notice due to flooding and damage from recent storms.
* PFEIFFER BIG SUR State Park continues to be closed due to the impact from the 2016 Soberanes Fire and damage from recent storms. BUZZARDS ROOST TRAIL is closed until further notice, however the connecting trail from Big Sur Lodge to Fernwood is open. GROUP CAMP is closed and not available for reservation until further notice. Follow on Facebook for more up-to-date information. BIG SUR LODGE IS OPEN.
* JULIA PFEIFFER BURNS State Park is inaccessible and closed until further notice.
* LIMEKILN State Park is now open, but is only available by vehicle from Nacimiento Fergusson Road via G14 from Hwy 101 through Lockwood. Please use a map to check your route before travelling, as Google Maps and GPS systems are currently giving unreliable directions due to slides and closures on SR1. Once you reach SR1, the only public access is to Gorda (PM 10) to the south and to Limelkiln State Park (PM 20) to the north -- and of course, everything in between those two places.
For more State Park information and updates on current conditions, please call the California State Parks Big Sur Sector Office at (831) 667-1112 or the Big Sur Station at (831) 667-2315. Check the CalTrans website for up-to-date road conditions on Highway 1.
* PFEIFFER BEACH is closed until further notice due to flooding and road damage. Call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 for more information regarding Pfeiffer Beach.
* PINE RIDGE TRAIL, SYKES HOT SPRINGS and much of the Monterey Ranger District within the Los Padres Forest in Big Sur is closed until December 4, 2017. See the Forest Order for more details or call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 for more information.
California State Parks contracts with Parks Management Company to operate the park.
The park features breathtaking views of the Big Sur Coast, the beauty of the redwoods, the rugged coast and the cultural history of limekilns. The park has 24 campsites.
The park is 56 miles south of Carmel, off Highway One; two miles south of Lucia.
The weather can be changeable. Layered clothing is advised.