PFEIFFER CANYON BRIDGE IS OPEN
Updated October 13, 2017
Highway 1 is now open at Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge, allowing vehicle access from the north to Julia Pfeiffer Burns and Limekiln State Parks. Garrapata, Point Sur Light Station, Andrew Molera and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Parks continue to be open and accessible from the north on Highway 1. Highway 1 is closed at Gorda until late summer 2018 due to a massive landslide. From the south, access is closed on Highway 1 at Salmon Creek. Check traffic conditions before driving at the Caltrans website.
Current Conditions for All Big Sur Area Parks
Updated November 8, 2017
* GARRAPATA State Park is open on the west side of Highway 1. All park lands east of Highway 1 are closed to public entry, due to the 2016 Soberanes Fire.
* POINT SUR Light Station is open for guided tours. More info: www.pointsur.org or (831) 625-4419
* ANDREW MOLERA State Park is open for day-hiking on the west side of Highway 1. The seasonal pedestrian bridge crossing the Big Sur River has been removed for the season, so hikers must wade across the river to get to the beach and these open trails: Creamery Meadow Trail (to the beach), Ridge Trail, Panorama Trail, Spring Trail and Bluffs Trail. The Bobcat Trail is also open and does not require a river crossing. Trail Camp/Headlands Trail is closed. Trails on the east side of Highway 1 are closed. The campground is closed.
* PFEIFFER BIG SUR State Park is open. Trails that are open to the public include: Buzzard's Roost, Valley View, Liewald Flats, Redwood Deck, Nature Trail, River Path and Warden’s Path. Trails that are closed due to hazardous conditions include Pfeiffer Falls, Pine Ridge, Gorge and Mt. Manuel trails. ** ALERT: Due to the possibility of extreme winter weather, campsites at Pfeiffer Big Sur will be first-come first-serve only from December 1, 2017 until April 21, 2018 as conditions allow. Reservations during this time will not be possible. Group Camp is closed and not available for reservation until further notice. Follow on Facebook for more up-to-date information. BIG SUR LODGE is open.
* JULIA PFEIFFER BURNS State Park is open for limited day use. Trails on the west side of Highway 1 are open. This includes the Overlook Trail and Partington Cove Trail. Trails on the east side of Highway 1 are closed. Ewoldsen, Canyon, Tanbark, Waters and the Tinhouse Fire Road Trails are closed. The campground is closed.
* LIMEKILN State Park is open.
* PFEIFFER BEACH is open. Call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 for more information regarding Pfeiffer Beach.
* PINE RIDGE TRAIL and SYKES HOT SPRINGS is closed indefinitely. Call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 for more information.
* Check the CalTrans website or call 1-800-427-7623 for up-to-date road conditions on Highway 1.
California State Parks contracts with Parks Management Company to operate the park.
The park features breathtaking views of the Big Sur Coast, the beauty of the redwoods, the rugged coast and the cultural history of limekilns. The park has 24 campsites.
The park is 56 miles south of Carmel, off Highway One; two miles south of Lucia.
The weather can be changeable. Layered clothing is advised.