8:00 am to Sunset
George J. Hatfield State Recreation Area
What is open now?
- Parking and Day-Use areas.
- Trails and River Access.
- Special events
Protect yourself, family, friends and your community by following these prevention measures:
- Know Before You Go – Prior to leaving home, check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. Have a back-up plan in case your destination is crowded. Stay home if you are sick
- Plan Ahead – Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer.
- Play It Safe – Find out what precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors, especially if this is your first time visiting the State Park System. Learn more at parks.ca.gov/SafetyTips.
Be COVID-19 Safe– State Parks continues to meet guidance from local and state public officials as COVID-19 is still present and still deadly. Here is the guidance on face coverings for this park unit:
- Vaccinated? Face coverings recommended.
- Unvaccinated? Face coverings are required indoors.
- Leave No Trace – Leave areas better than how you found them by staying on designated trails and packing out all trash. Do not disturb wildlife or plants.
This park is in the San Joaquin valley and is surrounded by the Merced River. The park has many trees and is home to various wildlife, especially birds. Swimming, fishing and picnicking are popular activities.
From Interstate 5, take the Newman exit into Newman and continue east on County Road J-18 for five miles; the park entrance is just past the San Joaquin River bridge.
4394 North Kelly Road
Hilmar, CA 95324
The weather can be changeable; layered clothing is recommended