Park is open for Day Use
Sunrise - Sunset
Museum and campgrounds are closed for the winter season.
Plumas-Eureka State Park
Max. Trailer Lengths
Trailer: 24 Feet
Camper/Motorhome: 30 Feet
Park is open for Day Use
Driving Directions to Plumas-Eureka SP
Camping and Lodging
Online reservations are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Reservations can be made 7 months in advance on the first day of the month beginning at 8:00 a.m. PST via the website, by mail, or by calling the toll free telephone number at 1-800-444-7275. Due to seasonal volume, access to the ReserveAmerica website and the telephone line may at times be limited.Online Reservations
Brochures and Campground Maps
Upcoming Park Events
No events scheduled at this moment.
Reservations and Seasonal Availability
Plumas-Eureka State Park is open year-round for day use.
Hiking trails and unpaved roads are open for visitor exploration.
Cold weather makes for great hikes and snow may be on the way!
Please visit PESPA and Plumas Ski Club for some of the winter activities.
The museum has closed for the 2015 season, however visitors are welcome to walk around the surrounding historic area.
The museum is expected to reopen for the 2016 Season in mid-May.
The Upper Jamison and Camp Lisa Campgrounds have closed for the 2015 Season.
The campgrounds will reopen and go back on reservations beginning 5/26/2016.
Reservations are available six months in advance of your desired arrival.
Please contact ReserveAmerica - 800-444-7275 to make reservations.
Plumas-Eureka State Park
Plumas-Eureka State Park was established in 1959, and provides visitors with a glimpse into a fascinating period of California history, as well as opportunities for quiet recreation in a beautiful high Sierra mountain setting.
The focal point of the park is the museum building and historic area surrounding it. Originally constructed as the miner's bunkhouse, the museum now serves as a visitor center. Inside, displays depict the natural and cultural history of the park. Outside and across the street from the museum is the historic mining area, where the Mohawk Stamp Mill, Bushman five-stamp mill, stable, mine office, Moriarity House (historic miner's residence) and the blacksmith shop depict life in gold rush-era California.
During the summer, tours of the buildings and blacksmithing demonstrations are conducted by docents and park staff. Visitors can also enjoy fishing, nature study and hiking within the park.
Plumas Eureka State Park is five miles west of Blairsden on County Road A-14.
Summer temperatures range from about 75 degrees during the day to the low 40s at night, and winter temperatures average from a high of 40 to a low of 20 degrees.
High Sierra weather is varied and can change abruptly. It is recommended to bring layered clothing and check weather updates.
Facilities - Activities
Fishing opportunities in the Plumas-Eureka area include numerous alpine lakes and streams within a short drive or hike out of the campground. Jamison Creek flows through the campground and can yield the occasional trout.
Plumas-Eureka and the surrounding area is a hiker's paradise. Campers can hike out of their campsite, and Day User's can park nearby to access a network of trails that navigates through the Lakes Basin Recreation Area, including the Pacific Crest Trail.
Food Storage Locker Information
Metal bear-resistant food lockers are provided in each campsite. All food, beverages, and toiletries are required by law to be stored in provided food lockers. The inside dimensions of the food lockers are 33" deep, 48" wide, and 21" high. Violators will be cited.
About the Park
The event that resulted in the establishment of several communities and later became the key reason for establishing the park was the discovery of gold on the east side of Eureka Peak, (then known as Gold Mountain) by a group of 9 miners on May 23, 1851. What started out as an individual discovery eventually led to over 30 miles of mine shafts with several individual operators and companies.
British mining experts perfected the method of removing the rich ore from within the mountain. At one point, three stamp mills were in operation at various locations on the mountainside, but in time, the ore-crushing operation was concentrated at one mill, the Mohawk. Built in 1876 at a cost of approximately $50,000 the Mohawk contained 60 stamps, each weighing from 600 to 950 pounds with a drop of 8 1/2 inches - 80 times per minute. Each stamp could crush 2 1/2 tons of ore (a small dump truckload) every 24 hours.
Ore was brought from shafts higher up on the mountain by the means of two gravity-powered tramways. Returning ore buckets sometimes carried miners up the mountain and in the winter possibly served as the first ski lift in California. When mining in the area ceased for good in the 1940's, over 8 million dollars worth of gold had been removed from Gold Mountain!
Today, Plumas-Eureka's "gold" is the great variety of plants and animals that exist within park boundaries. Black bear, deer, weasel, mink, marten, mountain lion, bobcat, fox, and a host of other mammals are seen through the summer months. Mountain meadows and forested glades are often dotted with an assortment of Sierra wildflowers.
Available Activities and Facilities at Plumas-Eureka State Park
RV Dump Station
Env. Learning/Visitor Center
Exhibits and Programs
Restrooms / Showers
Drinking Water Available