Skip to Main Content
Menu
Contact Us Search
Organization Title

Schooner Gulch State Beach

Park Information

Contact Information

(707) 937-5804

Park Hours

Call the park

Driving Directions to Schooner Gulch SB

The state beach is located three miles south of Point Arena, where Schooner Gulch Road intersects State Highway 1.

View on Map

Camping and Lodging

Online reservations are not available for this park.

Brochures and Campground Maps

No online brochures available for this park.

Upcoming Park Events

No events scheduled at this moment.


Photo: View  from the beach of the bluff at Schooner Gulch State Beach.The beach and headlands preserve a scenic spot along the Mendocino Coast and offers a stunning perch for watching sunsets, or merely sitting in the grass as the afternoon sun glistens on the waters below. Fishing, picnicking, and surfing are popular activities here.

A small parking area with two trailheads is on the west side of the highway. The southern trail leads to Schooner Gulch Beach. 

The northern trail to Bowling Ball Beach is closed due to erosion.

Location/Directions
The state beach is located three miles south of Point Arena, where Schooner Gulch Road intersects State Highway 1.

Seasons/Climate/Recommended clothing
The weather can be changeable; layered clothing is recommended.

Facilities - Activities
Historically, Schooner Gulch is within the territory of the coastal branch of the Central Pomo Indians which extends from the mouth of the Navarro River to the mouth of the Gualala River.

This area was frequented by Russians and native Alaskan hunters as early as 1812, and by Mexican land owners in the 1840's.

John Galloway was the first recorded occupant of the area. John was born in Scotland and occupied an area of Schooner Gulch between 1866 and 1868, which was largely used as a milling operation for timber. Logging continued at Schooner Gulch until the late 1800's, through various other milling operations.

Another interesting part of the history of Schooner Gulch is the Galloway School. The school land was donated by John and Margaret Galloway. Galloway School operated for 62 years, from 1874 to 1936 with never more than 40 students. In 1940 the school lot was sold, and land around the lot was farmed by the Nobles family until 1986 at which time the land was sold to the State of California.

Legend has it that Schooner Gulch got its name from a story in which a schooner was sited, one evening, stranded on the beach in the mouth of the gulch, yet in the morning showed no evidence of being there.