Hendy Woods SP

State Park

Hendy Woods State Park features two virgin redwood groves; Big Hendy with a self-guided discovery trail and Little Hendy. The Navarro River runs the length of the park.

Located in the middle of the Anderson Valley wine district, this park is warmer and less foggy than most redwood parks along the coast. The park is well known for a fallen redwood stump that was home for a man known locally as the Hendy Woods Hermit.

Location/Directions
Hendy Woods is located in one of the most scenic areas of southwestern Mendocino County.  It is eight miles northwest of Boonville, a half-mile south of Highway 128 on picturesque Philo-Greenwood Road. 

Less than a three hour drive from the San Francisco Bay Area, one passes from the hustle and bustle of a modern metropolitan center into a majestically silent primeval forest of Coast Redwoods (Sequoia sempervirons).

Facilities - Activities
The 25 picnicking sites are located near the banks of the Navarro River in full view of Big Hendy Grove. There is no need to bring either wood, charcoal or presto-logs as wood is available at the ranger station.
Visitors are asked not to gather wood within the park as this downed material is needed to provide humus for the surrounding vegetation.

Two miles of nature trails guide the visitor through both Big and Little Hendy Groves. While hiking, please stay on the trail so that the forest floor will maintain its beauty untrammeled for generations to come.

Fishing has not been allowed in the park for several decades. Fishing is permitted in the Navarro River watershed down river from the bridge at the park entrance.

Swimming is popular in summer, as is kayaking and canoeing in late winter and early spring.

The park also features interpretive exhibits, Junior Ranger nature walks, and campfire programs.

Seasons/Climate - Recommended clothing
The weather can be changeable; layered clothing is recommended.

About the Park
The two groves of redwood and the park which was constructed around them bear the name of Joshua P. Hendy, who in the late 1800's first claimed this beautiful area as his own.

Hendy found something within the peace and quiet of these moss encrusted groves that made him vow that neither saw nor ax would ever lay bare the inner bark of these giants.  True to his word, as long as the land was his, the trees were never harmed.

California was growing and the need for lumber was great. After Joshua P. Hendy died, the groves were sold.  Down came the giant trees in the outlying areas and off to the mills they were hauled.  Timber was cut and removed from all sides of the big groves, but never was an order given to attack the giants standing there..

Hendy Woods was sold to the people of California in August of 1958, to become one of our finest state parks.

·Park Information

  • Hours of Operation:

    8:00 AM to Sunset

  • Park Office Telephone:

    (707) 895-3141

  • Region

    North Coast

    County

    Mendocino

  • Max Camper Length:

    35 Feet

    Max Trailer Length

    35 Feet

  • Purchase Annual Passes

Telephone

Mendocino District
 Office: 707 937-5804

Hendy Woods SP
 Office: 707 895-3537
 Kiosk: 707 895-3141 (seasonal)

Warning

Visitors need to be advised that periodically early morning noise and agricultural spraying occurs adjacent to the park.