Significant Incidents Updates
California State Parks works closely with the state’s network of local, state and federal law enforcement agencies to ensure our parks and their surrounding communities are safe.
Our State Parks Peace Officers respond to all types of emergencies. Information on significant incidents such as, but not limited to wildfires, earthquakes, floods and Public Safety Power Shutoffs, will be posted on this website.
Before leaving home, be sure to check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. We advise the public to recreate responsibly and visit www.parks.ca.gov/COVID19 for the latest visitor guidelines during the pandemic.
Updated: July 11, 2022 (5:30 p.m.)
- Caswell Memorial State Park: The day-use area remains temporarily closed due to the River Fire. The campground reopened on June 30, 2022. Updates will be made when information becomes available.
- South Yuba River State Park: The Bridgeport day-use area reopened on July 4, 2022. However, the burned areas imacted will remain closed until further notice. This includes state park lands in the vicinity of Rices Crossing Road, Cranston Road and Troost Trail. Updates will be made when information becomes available.
Below you will find a list of state park units impacted by previous wildfires that remain fully or partially closed. The public is advised to avoid these public outdoor spaces at this time. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
- Indian Grinding Rock State Historic Park: The museum will be closed today, July 5, as there is no power due to the Electra Fire. The campground and day-use area will remain open. Visitors should be aware of the smoke in the area. Updates will be made when information becomes available.
CZU August Lightning Complex Fire
San Mateo County
- Butano SP (limited day use)
Santa Cruz County
- Big Basin Redwoods SP - (Media Downloads)
- The park remains partially closed. Portions of the Rancho Del Oso coastal unit are now open daily.
- Learn how State Parks and partners are working to have Big Basin Redwoods State Park re-emerge as one of California’s greatest natural cathedrals, as well as a model for California’s resilient and inclusive parks at ReimaginingBigBasin.org.
- South Yuba River SP (Independence Trail)
LNU Lightning Complex Fire
- Grover Hot Springs SP will be closed until further notice. This park unit suffered significant damages to park facilities and trees. Thank you for your patience as the staff works to remove hazard trees and restore its infrastructure.
This site provides general information concerning an incident within California’s state park system. All of our information comes from park districts and/or divisions and must be approved by the Incident Commander in charge of managing the incident prior to release. Updates to these sites cannot be guaranteed on a set time schedule. Please use the information on these pages only as a reference. The sites are not meant to provide up to the minute information. Please refer to the information phone numbers provided on this site, and website links for additional information, and monitor your local radio stations for emergency broadcasts.