ALERTS IN EFFECT for the Big Sur Area
Updated October 18, 2018
Saturday, October 27, 2018
at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park
The 5K/10K charity footrace will use the campground and day-use roads. The Day-Use Road and all campground roads will be closed to all vehicle traffic from 9 AM to 12 PM. Absolutely no vehicles, including motorcycles and bicycles, may travel on the closed park roads during that time. Park roads will remain open for foot traffic. Plan ahead.
- Campers leaving on October 27th must do so prior to 9 AM (0900 hours) or after 12 PM (1200 hours). Check-out time will be extended to 1 PM (1300 hours) on October 27th.
- Campers staying through October 27th will not be permitted to drive on the park roads during the closure.
- Campers arriving on October 27th should not be affected. Check-in is a 2 PM (1400 hours). Early check-ins will not be permitted.
- Hike and Bike Campers should not be affected; however, bicyclists must walk their bicycles on any roads that are closed to vehicle traffic.
- Day-Use areas of the park will still be open to foot traffic during the race. Day-use visitors may park outside the park and walk into the park. Parking along the park’s roads or the Big Sur Lodge roads is strictly prohibited.
Big Sur State Parks will be inaccessible from the south on 10/28 and 29 from 10 pm to 6 am due to a full highway closure on Highway 1, approximately 1 mile north of Limekiln State Park.
Palo Colorado Road
Closed to Bottchers Gap
Sycamore Canyon Road to PFEIFFER BEACH
PFEIFFER BEACH IS CLOSED TO PUBLIC USE, MONDAY 6 A.M. TO FRIDAY 1 P.M. THROUGH NOVEMBER 30, 2018, VIA SYCAMORE CANYON ROAD.
GARRAPATA State Park Trails west of Highway 1 are open. Soberanes Canyon Trail is partially open. It will be open exclusively from the main, gated trailhead across from Gate 8 of the Garrapata coastal trail. Hikers will be able to proceed to the back of the canyon along the 1.25 mile length of the trail. It will be an out and back hike since the Rocky Ridge portion of the trail will remain closed due to hazardous conditions
ANDREW MOLERA State Park CLOSED TRAILS: River, Twin Cottonwoods, Hidden, Beach and Trail Camp/Headlands. OPEN TRAILS: Creamery Meadow, Ridge, Bluffs, Panorama, Spring, East Molera, Bobcat and Coyote Flat trails. As of June 20, 2018 the seasonal footbridge is in place to allow easy access across the Big Sur River.
More trail information at Andrew Molera
PFEIFFER BIG SUR State Park CLOSED TRAILS: Pfeiffer Falls, Oak Grove Trail and the Pine Ridge trails. OPEN TRAILS: Gorge, Mount Manuel, Buzzard's Roost, Valley View, Liewald Flats, Redwood Deck, Nature Trail, River Path and Warden’s Path.
More trail information at Pfeiffer Big Sur
JULIA PFEIFFER BURNS State Park CLOSED TRAILS: Canyon, Ewoldsen, Tanbark, Waters and the Tinhouse Fire Road trails. OPEN TRAILS: Overlook* and Partington Cove trails.
* Note that the McWay Falls Overlook Trail is only partially open due to trail erosion that has caused dangerous conditions. McWay Falls can still be seen from the section of the trail that is open.
More trail information at Julia Pfeiffer Burns
ANDREW MOLERA State Park Trail Camp is closed until further notice.
PFEIFFER BIG SUR State Park Group Camp is closed and not available for reservation until further notice.
U.S. Forest Service Lands
PFEIFFER BEACH CLOSED TO PUBLIC USE, MONDAY 6 A.M. TO FRIDAY 1 P.M. THROUGH NOVEMBER 30, 2018, VIA SYCAMORE CANYON ROAD. Call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 or visit their web page for more information regarding Pfeiffer Beach.
PINE RIDGE TRAIL and SYKES HOT SPRINGS are closed indefinitely. Call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 or visit their web page for more information regarding the Pine Ridge Trail and Sykes Hot Springs.