Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park : SPECIAL EVENTS/FILMING


We are not accepting applications for Special Events, Elopements, or Film Permits at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park until further notice.

Updated (09/23/2020)

Special Event Permits
The Big Sur Sector permits various events at this park with an approved Special Event Permit. Events at this park are suitable for those wishing to have a low-key event in a rustic, outdoors location.  This in the only park in the sector with exclusive access event sites.  Special Events include weddings, elopements, receptions, rehearsal/welcome dinners, events that require the reservation of park facilities, events with vendors, etc.  You may apply for a permit up to one (1) year in advance.  Applications received less than thirty (30) days prior to the event date are subject to additional fees and restrictions.

“Elopement” Special Event Permits may be issued for elopement weddings of ten (10) people or less that take place at hike-in locations.  You may apply for an “elopement” permit up to six (6) months in advance.

Events conducted by for-profit and/or non-profit entities may occur with the approval of a Large Event – Special Event Permit or an Annual Special Event PermitLarge Event applications must be received at least sixty (60) days in advance of the event date in order to be considered.

For more information, download the information packets:

2020 Pfeiffer Big Sur SP Special Event Information Packet

2020 Elopement Special Event Information Packet

Contact the Special Event Coordinator at 831-667-0507 or for availability, permit & fee information, Large Event or Annual permit information, or to apply for a Special Event Permit.

Motion Picture and Still Photography Permits

All film shoots at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park and all other California State Parks are required to have a valid film permit issued by the California Film Commission (CFC).  The term “film shoot” refers to both motion picture and still photography.  The term “film” refers to both analog (actual physical film) and digital media.

The Big Sur Sector permits “Simple” shoots on Monday-Thursday, non-holiday dates.  “Complex” shoots are only permitted on Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday non-holiday dates.  Film shoots are not permitted on weekends (Friday-Sunday) nor on holiday dates.  Additionally, film shoots may not interfere with any park programs or previously scheduled events.

Applications must be received at least two (2) weeks prior to first shoot date in order to be considered by the Big Sur Sector.  Applications can be submitted online at the CFC’s website at

It is important for film makers and producers to note that RESTRICTION OF PUBLIC ACCESS IS PROHIBITED.  Closed sets, nudity, pornography, profanity, loud music, or any obscene activities are strictly prohibited on State Park Property.  Additionally film shoot are not permitted in any closed or roped off areas.

For more information about filming in a California State Park, including information on fees and the difference between a “complex” and “simple” shoot, please visit

To check availability, contact the Film Permit Office at 831-667-0507 or

To apply for a film permit with the CFC, please visit

For information regarding filming outside of a State Park in Monterey County, please visit the Monterey County Film Commission's website at

 More information: Film Production in California State Parks


Photograph courtesy of Sharon Pieniak