Rehabilitation of the Bridge at South Yuba River SP
Bridgeport Covered Bridge Restoration and Rehabilitation Project
The Bridgeport Covered Bridge was originally built in 1862. Located in South Yuba River State Park, the bridge spans 226 feet and is 16 feet wide. The Bridgeport Covered Bridge is the only remaining single-spanHowe Truss-Burr Arch covered timber bridge of this size in the nation and is listed on the National Register of Historic Structures. It is a major attraction used by 150,000 visitors each year as a pedestrian bridge across the South Yuba River in Nevada County, California.
The bridge was closed to public access after a timber survey in September 2011 revealed significant structural damage. The park desires to use the structure for pedestrian access and horse drawn wagons. The project seeks to restore and rehabilitate the existing structure. All repairs will be reviewed and approved by a California State Parks Historian to maintain conformance to the Department of the Interior Standards for Historical Preservation strategies.
The restoration and rehabilitation project includes:
- Installation of temporary shoring
- Replacing fracture-critical elements (cast iron tension elements)
- Replacing decayed wood sections in wood trusses
- Replacing fracture-critical bolts
- Rebuilding top chord and roof
- Rehabilitation of existing abutments
- Repair items discovered during course of construction
*The plans listed here are conceptual and for reference only—the public works construction project slated to begin in 2018 is pending regulatory agency approval and will be formally advertised and bid at later date.
South Yuba STUDIES AND PERMITS