California State Parks Safety Tips
PREPARATION AND PLANNING
Before leaving for a park:
- Find out if any roads, trails and/or campgrounds are closed by visiting the park’s webpage or the park’s social media accounts.
- Check your destination’s and route’s weather conditions and prepare accordingly. Road conditions and winter driving tips can be found on the Caltrans website.
Before leaving for an outdoor activity (e.g., hiking, biking, boating, horseback riding), let a family member or friend know where you are going and when you will return, as well as any important information such as site visit location and names of those in your group. This will ensure law enforcement personnel have a better understanding of your location in the event of a rescue.
SAFELY SHARING THE ROAD
- Observe posted speed limits.
- Stay in your lane on blind curves and do not cut corners.
- Do not pass on double-yellow lines and pass only when you have a clear view of oncoming traffic and it is safe to do so.
- Be prepared for equestrians, pedestrians, joggers, wildlife, rocks, tree limbs, etc., in the roadway. Share the road.