Bluff Trail Accessibility Project
Montaña de Oro State Park to Begin Work on Bluff Trail Accessibility Project in November 2013
On Monday, November 18, 2013 California State Parks will begin accessibility work on the Bluff Trail in Montaña de Oro State Park. This $1.3 million project will consist of a variety of accessibility improvements, including:
- Replacing the two restrooms at the Coon Creek parking lot and the Bluff Trail Service Road with new ADA compliant restroom facilities;
- Re-contouring the trail surface to reduce erosion impacts, restore natural hydrology and reduce water run-off, and allow for mobility impaired access the full length of the Bluff Trail;
- Installing accessible parking spaces at the north trail head parking area and the south trail head parking lot at Coon Creek;
- Replacing the old pedestrian bridge at Coralina Cove and adding a new bridge north of Coon Creek;
- Improving scenic overlooks by installing new decking, surfaces, railings, and interpretive panels;
- Adding a new accessible picnic area, bench, and table;
Re-routing sections of trail to avoid future bluff retreat, close unsustainable and severely eroded alignments, and to protect the Coon Creek water shed and other resources.
The initial appearance of the trail will change as vegetation is removed and the trail is re-contoured and widened to correct drainage problems. After the initial re-grading and re-contouring, native vegetation will be restored and the trail tread will narrow to more conventional widths as the plants re-establish along the trail edges.
On occasion there will be heavy equipment traveling on Pecho Road between the Quonset Hut staging area at Spooner Ranch House and the Coon Creek parking lot. However, all trails and trailheads on the east side of Pecho Road will remain open.
This project will require partial periodic closures to sections of the Bluff Trail. California State Parks will inform the public of these closures via our website, social media sites, and park postings. Please check back for weekly updates on progress and temporary closures. We urge the public's cooperation in avoiding any closed sections of trail and parking areas during the duration of the project.
Work is anticipated to be completed by December of 2014.
If you have any questions, please contact Supervisory State Park Peace Officer Rob Colligan at (805) 602-6903 or at Rob.Colligan@parks.ca.gov. You may also contact State Park Interpreter II Rouvaishyana at (805) 772-2694, ext. 105 or at Rouvaishyana@parks.ca.gov.
Areas temporarily closed for construction from February 5th through 14th:
North Bluff Trailhead - Section closed for work on walkways, overlooks and bridge.
South Bluff Trail - Section closed from Coon Creek parking lot the bluff.
Coon Creek parking lot will reopen on January 31st.