*2018 Registration for ALL participants (new and returning) will begin online, DATE T.B.A!
IMPORTANT 2018 REGISTRATION INFO
We are in the process of switching to a new registration system, Reserve California, which will be utilized by all of the California State Parks Junior Lifeguard Programs statewide. In the meantime, to get a head start, you can create a profile on Reserve California to expedite your time on registration day. Each HOUSEHOLD (parent/guardian) must create a profile and add dependents (each child you wish to enroll in JGs). To create an account, please follow these steps:
- Visit www.reservecalifornia.com
- Click on “Create Account” in the upper right corner of the page
- Fill out the “New Customer” page with YOUR (parent or guardian) information
- When finished, click the “Create Account” button
- Once your account is created, click the “Your Account” tab at the top of the homepage
- Click “Your Dependents”
- Click “Add Person”
- Fill out all information for YOUR CHILD/JG. MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE THE BIRTHDATE!!! You cannot register the day of, if you have not entered in the correct birthdate information for each child!!
- Click “Add Dependent”
- Repeat steps 7-9 for each child that you plan to attend the Junior Lifeguard Program
- Upon successful completion of creating your Reserve California profile, you should receive a confirmation email of your new account
To enroll, first-time Junior Lifeguards must:
1. You MUST register online prior to attending the tryout! Please make sure you are signing up for the correct session category (beach, session, and age group). We will not be held responsible for registration errors!
2. Complete the tryout at Cabrillo College. Applicants ages 9-15 must be able to swim freestyle stroke 100 yds continuously, swim 10 yds under water and tread water for three minutes. Applicants ages 6-8 must be able to swim freestyle stroke 50 yds continuously, swim 10 yds under water, and tread water for three minutes.Please make sure your child has these skills before signing them up. If your child does not pass the test, we will issue a full refund minus any processing fees. However, refunds can take up to six months.
For returning families, simply click on the online registration link and you’ll be taken to our new active network page where you’ll be able to register for Session 1, Session 2 or both! If you participated in the program last year, you will not have to complete the swim test.
Each Session cost sessions: $440.00.
* Additional charges may be added for processing fess*
There are no discounts for siblings.
Cost Includes: Uniform T-shirt.
*Registration prices are subject to change
The Santa Cruz State Junior Lifeguard Program accepts all major credit or debit cards FOR REGISTRATION ONLY. No other forms of payment will be accepted (uniform items must be paid by personal check or money order).
Tuition assistance is available upon request (go to "Tuition Assistance").
If you are interested in making a donation please contact us at (831) 476-4992.
The Junior Lifeguard Program is not a “learn to swim” school. Therefore, prospective students are screened at a tryout to see if they have the minimum skills needed to safely participate in and benefit from the Junior Lifeguard Program. The instructors approve a child's skill level based upon successful completion of the test as well as the child's swimming competence and confidence. We reserve the right to refuse admittance if it is felt a student will adversely affect the safety and welfare of themselves and/or others in the program. All new students must successfully complete the testing process to be eligible for the program (NO EXCEPTIONS).
Click To View Tryout Information
Uniform pickup and sales will be available at the tryout location on both tryout dates.
Uniform items must be paid by personal check (checks made out to: California State Parks)