Rules & Regulations
PROGRAM TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
In order for the Junior Lifeguard program to be successful, participants must exhibit behavior that is respectful of our staff, other participants, equipment, and facilities.
The intent of discipline is to instruct the participant so as to gain compliance with acceptable behavior norms. Therefore, please sign and familiarize yourself and your Junior Lifeguard with the following rules and policy.
- Leaving the supervised recreational area without receiving permission from program staff is not permitted.
- Fighting (physical or verbal), and use of profane language is not permitted, and parents will be notified.
- Vandalism of site, public or other participant’s property will not be tolerated.
- Restrooms are to be used for their intended purpose and nothing else. Restrooms are to be kept clean. Participants must notify a lead-person before going to the restroom.
- Daily assembly- each site has its own assembly times. For approximately 15 minutes the entire group will meet. It is necessary that participants are quiet and attentive at this time.
- Each Junior Lifeguard program site will have its own specific guidelines put in place for the safety and enjoyment of all participants.
Any types of mildly aggressive, intrusive, or destructive actions towards fellow participants, staff members or equipment
- Participant will be verbally warned, counseled about the situation, and given an explanation of what behavior change is expected.
- Time-out (cool-off period), immediately after each incident for 2-5 minutes, depending on the incident. Extra, supervised physical exercise such as push-ups, sit-ups, or running, may be assigned at this time. At this time the participant will be given an explanation of the consequences for continued inappropriate behavior, and an informal behavior contract and plan for successful participation will be implemented.
- Conference involving parent, participant, and staff that will include:
- discussion of incident
- explanation of discipline policy
- formal behavior contract, completed and signed
- determine disciplinary support at home
Attendance is taken daily. We would appreciate being notified if your child will be absent. Please phone the Junior Lifeguard Office between 8:00 and 8:45 a.m. at 476-4992. Do not call the Aquatic Program Supervisor to report absences.
(This agenda is subject to variation without notice, based daily conditions)
10:00 – Roll call and program meeting
10:15 – Warm ups, stretching and calisthenics
11:15 – Topic lecture
12:00 – Lunch
12:45 – Age group skills and activities
2:00 – Free time activity
2:40 – Program clean-up and review
3:00 – End of another great day!
Please make sure your JG has the following everyday:
- Sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) and towel
- A bag lunch, with nutritious, wholesome food, and lots of drinking water, for a full active day
- Junior Lifeguard uniform
- A large sun hat (optional but recommended)
- A sweatshirt for cold days
- Protective, beach appropriate footwear
- Wetsuits are optional, but recommended
PARTICIPATION IN ACTIVITIES
Students are required to participate in all regular program activities. The younger, smaller students may not have the same opportunities as older students to utilize equipment that requires body weight and strength. If you have questions, please see one of the lead instructors.
- There is a 50% fee for cancellations made prior to the first day of instruction
- Students may drop from the program at any time prior to the completion of the first week of instruction and receive a 50 % refund of tuition. After the commencement of the first day of the second week, no refunds will be made.
- There is no refund of fees for the students suspended (1-3 days) or for students that are removed from all further program activities for disciplinary reasons.
- Refunds may take up to 8 weeks for payment.
We have a limited amount of tuition assistance available each year. If your child or the child of someone you know cannot participate in the Junior Lifeguard Program without assistance, please contact for a Tuition Assistance Application.
Due to limited funding, tuition assistance is only available for one session per program year per student. Further, priority consideration will be given to new applicants. Otherwise, tuition assistance is first come, first serve during regular enrollment periods.
For more information click here.
If you or your business has means to make a donation to the TUITION ASSISANCE FUND, please call the Junior Lifeguard Office.
Required Uniform for Students:
Check out our Uniforms page with discounts from our preferred vendor.
Boys: Navy Swim trunks and red long Sleeved t-shirt
Girls: Navy athletic style swim suit and red long-sleeved t-shirt. (Racing style 2 piece ok).
For information on optional Junior Lifeguard apparel available for purchase-click below
Junior Lifeguards Uniforms
We ask that you notify the office at least (30) days prior to the start of the program if you student desires special accommodations or services in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMATORY POLICY
The California State Junior Lifeguard program admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or make available to students at school. The state does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethic origin in administration of educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship, athletic and other school-administered programs.
Santa Cruz State Junior Lifeguards
665 14th Ave
Santa Cruz, California, 95062
California State Parks
The State of California
Department of Parks and Recreation
Junior Lifeguard Office
Program Contacts: ONLY AVAILABLE DURING SUMMER MONTHS
Twin Lakes- (831) 212-7248
Manresa- (831) 212-7223
Seacliff- (831) 212-7232
Aquatic Program Supervisor
427-4869 Do not use for attendance