Please refer to the Parent Handbook for more information about the program.
TO SIGN UP
Go to our "SIGN UP" page for detailed registration information.
*Enrollment in the Monterey Junior Lifeguard Program is first come - first served. Due to the popularity of the program, enrollment is expected to fill to capacity quickly!!!
1. You Must Be Between the Ages of 9 and 15
2. YOU MUST PASS THE JG SWIM TEST
To Pass, You Must Be Able To:
- Swim 100 yards continuously using ONLY the crawl stroke
- Swim under water for 10 yards
- Tread water for 3 minutes
Time Standards for the 100 Yard Swim Are As Follows:
Ages 9 - 11: under two minutes and forty seconds
Ages 12 - 13: under two minutes and thirty seconds
Ages 14 - 15: under two minutes
The times are strict and we will be accepting participants based on their times.
Please understand that a child may physically complete all phases of testing and still may not be accepted into the JG program. The Instructors approve a youth's skill level based upon his/her swimming ability, competence, and confidence. This is done for the safety of the child, as well as the success of the program. Thank you for your understanding.
**All new students must successfully complete the whole testing process to be eligible for the program.
Sessions 1 & 2: Monterey State Beach
Houghton M. Roberts parking lot off of Sand Dunes Drive in Monterey (just SOUTH of the Monterey Beach Resort).
Refunds will be granted under the following conditions:
1. Participant fails the tryout
2. Participant is injured while participating in JGs, and the injury is significant enough to prevent their future active participation. Injury must be substantiated with a written Doctor's note. Refund will be pro-rated from injury date to last day of that JG Session
If you want to be on the carpool list, please call (831)-649-7144 and you will be put on it. THANK YOU!
Santa Cruz State Junior Lifeguards:
Santa Cruz City Junior Lifeguards:
United States Lifesaving Association: