Park day use open 6am-Sunset
Harmony Headlands State Park
- No camping allowed. For camping nearby please contact Hearst San Simeon, Morro Bay or Morro Strand Campgrounds.
- No campfires permitted.
- No dogs allowed on trails or to be left unattended in vehicles. Laws enforced.
- Bicycles and equestrians are not permitted.
- There are no services available other than a portable restroom next to a small historic ranch house near the beginning of the trail. Cell phone service is sparse.
- All natural and cultural park features are protected by law and must not be disturbed in any way.
- Stay on trails to avoid poison oak and ticks that may carry Lyme disease.
In a secluded and peaceful setting along Highway 1, Harmony Headlands State Park adorns the stunningly beautiful Central Coast in San Luis Obispo County. The 784-acre coastal park is just 3 miles south of the tiny town of Harmony, offering artist galleries and a creamery.
Human occupation along California’s Central Coast dates back at least 10,000 years. The native people, ancestors to today’s Salinan or Chumash people, lived along the coastal bluffs and further inland. They traveled seasonally up and down stream drainages to take advantage of the various food, shelter, and tool resources needed for survival.
Today the park offers several recreational opportunities such as hiking, picnicking, and bird watching & wildlife viewing. A short, level 1.5 mile trail from the parking lot extends west to a coastal marine terrace grassland with steep hills and panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean.
Regularly, a group of State Park Volunteers walk the park providing information to the hiking public and assisting park staff with monitoring park activities and reporting emergencies.
The Museum of Natural History in nearby Morro Bay State Park has exhibits that cover natural features, cultural history, Native American life, geology, and oceanography.
Seasons - Climate - Recommended clothing
Harmony Headlands SP has moderate weather. During summer days, the area is often cooler than inland areas. Dress in layers, especially near the ocean.
Location & Directions
Harmony Headlands SP is located:
- 25 miles northwest of San Luis Obispo on Highway 1
- 17 miles south of the Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Visitor Center on Highway 1
- 110 miles south of Monterey through Big Sur on Highway 1 (When road conditions permit)
- The coastal town of Cayucos is located 5 miles to the south and offers gas stations and dining choices.
- The charming community of Morro Bay is located 12 miles to the south and offers even more gas stations, grocery stores, and dining options.
Museum of Natural History
A visit to the Central Coast of California is not complete without a stop at the Museum of Natural History within nearby Morro Bay State Park. The museum offers activities for all ages: nature walks, exhibits, lectures, puppet shows, videos, docent led tours and special events.
Visit the Chumash garden along the side of the museum and learn how the Chumash used native plants of this area in their daily lives.
The Museum of Natural History is within minutes of the Heron Rookery, Montaña de Oro State Park, the El Moro Elfin Forest and Audubon's Sweet Springs Nature Preserve. The museum overlooks Morro Bay which is both a State and National Estuary.
- Bayside Cafe | Great food at the Marina in Morro Bay (Lunch & Dinner)
- County of San Luis Obispo dba Morro Bay Golf Course (Golf course)