State Parks Deferred Maintenance Projects 2007-2008
Many of the 2007-2008 California State Parks Deferred Maintenance projects reflected the four major categories of resources in the Archaeology, History and Museums Division: historical structures, archaeological sites, cultural landscapes and collections.
Historical Structures are those building located in park units that are 50 years of age or older. Archaeological Sites include the 11,000 sites with DPR-523 recordation and/ or Trinominal identification. Cultural Landscapes are those identified features that are like groupings in a resources area, including landmarks, and are similar to National Register Districts. Collections are the sum total of all DPR artifacts found in Parks units and all collection facilities. The projects presented below were only a portion of the overall commitment of California State Parks to its infrastructure needs and our continued stewardship of the State Park System.
Governor's Mansion Painting
Mendocino Woodlands Social Hall
John Marsh Archaeological Site
Governor’s Mansion State Historic Park
Administered by the Capital District of State Parks, California's executive mansion, popularly known as the Governor's Mansion, was built in 1877 for Albert and Clemenza Gallatin. Albert Gallatin was a partner in the Sacramento hardware store of Huntington & Hopkins and hired Uriah Reese to build the house. The architect was Nathaniel Goodell. In 1887, the Gallatins sold the house to local businessman Joseph Steffens and his wife Louisa who were the parents of the famous journalist and author, Lincoln Steffens. The State of California purchased the house from Steffens in 1903 for $32,500. Governor George Pardee and his family were the first residents of the Governor's Mansion. During the next 64-years the Victorian was home to the families of twelve other governors, including Edmund G. (Pat) Brown and Earl Warren who later became Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court. California Governor Ronald Reagan, who later became president of the United States, was the last official to live there.
Our 2007-2008 Deferred Maintenance project focused on the exterior of the Victorian. It included extensive work to re-paint the historic structure, remediate dirt surrounding the building and repair the moisture barrier to the basement while dirt was removed. Extensive research on the painting process was done and the goal was to return the facade to the 1906 color scheme and detailing. For more information visit the Historic Governor's Website or view our Frequently Asked Questions.
Lee Holmes Project Coordinator (916) 445-5913
Lyman Gray Project Manager (916) 997-7956
The Mendocino Woodlands State Park is truly a hidden gem of the state park system. Tucked away in the redwood forest north of the village of Mendocino, the Woodlands is a National Historic Landmark that was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the early 1930s. It still serves its original purpose to provide group camping for children, offering a wide range of programs from music camp to outdoor environmental science school.
Deferred maintenance money was used to repair the floor of one of the most important structures at the Woodlands – the Social Hall. This building is the heart of the summer camps, but was on the verge of being unusable due to its rotting joists and floorboards. After the DMP project, the Social Hall was a safe place for lively gatherings. Mendocino Woodlands State Park is administered by the Mendocino District of California State Parks. Learn more about Mendocino Woodlands.
Mike Cabaniss Project Manager (707) 937-1548
Marilyn Murphy District Superintendent (707) 937-2507
The Mendocino Woodlands State Park Social Hall is an important part
of summer camping at the park. Deferred Maintenance funds
were used to repair the floor.
The Cowell Ranch/John Marsh Property is located east of Mt. Diablo in Contra Costa County and had a Deferred Maintenance project to salvage and stabilize the archaeological site CA-CCO-18/548. This prehistoric site is an ancient California Indian village, which has been put at risk by a residential development on private land and massive creek erosion on State Park land.
Early in 2006 salvage archaeological excavations examined about 10 cubic meters of the site. Using a variety of excavation methods, including wet screening several thousands of pieces of dietary remains, flaked stone, and obsidian, were recovered all of which are currently being analyzed.
This project required that archaeological deposits be removed along the steepest areas of the cut bank and the land re-contoured and re-planted with native plants. Without these and other measures the remaining deposit would simply had been washed away by the creek. Stabilization of the archaeological site was done with a constant commitment to respect the cultural heritage of the indigenous people that lived in this area. Learn more about the John Marsh Property.
For more information on this project contact Rick Fitzgerald, Senior State Archaeologist at (916) 653-7441.