On the Trail
- Start your hike slowly. Allow your muscles warm-up and become flexible. Increase your pace after five to ten minutes.
- Walk at a pace that allows you to talk freely. If you are too out of breath to speak, you are probably working too hard.
- Pay attention to your body. Stop exercising if you feel very out of breath, dizzy, nauseated, or have pain.
- Toward the end of your walk, slow your pace to allow your pulse to return to its normal resting rate.
- If you are new to exercise, check with your doctor before starting a program. A doctor can prescribe a few simple stretches that can greatly reduce muscle soreness and injury.