Light-house Board's Notice
(Notice from the Lighthouse Board, 1890)
Visitors will be courteously and politely received, and admitted into the Tower and Lantern, except as specified below. The Light Keeper, or the Assistant Keeper, on duty is responsible for any injury or defacement to the Buildings, Lenses, Lamps, Glazing of the Lantern, and to any other Property belonging to the Light Station under his charge, unless he can identify parties who may have done the injury, so as to make them accountable for it; and any such damage will be reported immediately to the Inspector or Engineer of the District, with the names of the person or persons, if they can be ascertained.
It is therefore requested that persons who visit this Light Station will be careful not to handle or touch the Illuminating Apparatus, scratch or deface the plate glass of the Lantern, cut the woodwork, or write upon the window glass or painted or white washed parts of the Building, or do any other injury to the premises.
No person not connected with the Light Station will be allowed in the Watch room or Lantern between sunset and sunrise.
BY ORDER OF THE LIGHTHOUSE BOARD:
FRANCIS J. HIGGINSON,
REAR ADMIRAL, U.S.N., CHAIRMAN
CAPTAIN, U.S.N.,NAVAL SECRETARY,
MAJOR, CORPS OF ENGINEERS, U.S.A., ENGINEER SECRETARY
OFFICE LIGHTHOUSE BOARD, WASHINGTON, D.C.,
AUGUST 31, 1899