Lifeguard I (Seasonal)
This is the entry level for the seasonal lifeguard series. Under supervision, incumbents detect and rescue persons and vessels in distress; take command in emergencies; perform first-aid and resuscitation procedures; notify headquarters of accidents and rescues; prepare reports; remove hazards; assist the public and advise visitors of park rules and regulations. A Lifeguard I (Seasonal) learns to operate emergency vehicles, inspect and perform maintenance on emergency rescue equipment and vehicles; and other duties as needed.
Possession of a valid Class C California driver's license with a good driving record at the time of appointment. Candidates must have the ability to read and write English and have the physical strength and endurance necessary to rescue a struggling victim in the water. All candidates are required to possess the visual and hearing acuity necessary to detect and rescue a struggling victim in the water.
All applicants are required to successfully complete the following prior to being appointed:1. You must pass a COMPETITIVE open water swimming test:
- 2016 - Seasonal Ocean Lifeguard Swim Test Flyer
- 2016 - Seasonal Inland Lifeguard Swim Test (Coming Soon)
- 1,000 yard open water swim. Time limit of 20 minutes.
- A continuous 200 yard run, 400 yard swim, 200 yard run. Time limit of 10 minutes.
3. Successful completion of the California State Park Lifeguard Training Program. (8 days/80+ hours) Includes department certification in CPR & AED, Public Safety First Aid, and open water search & rescue and other aquatic lifesaving techniques.
For more information and questions contact: AquaticSafety@parks.ca.gov