State Park Peace Officer (Lifeguard) and Cadet Minimum Qualifications
Lifeguard Candidates must meet all the following requirements:
- Two Years of College*
- Valid California Driver's License of the Appropriate Class
- Physically Sound
- Eighteen Years of Age**
- Six mos. Lifeguard Experience at Facilities Other than Swimming Pools***
- Complete the State Park Lifeguard Training Program Prior to Appointment as Lifeguard
- Pass a Comprehensive Background Investigation
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien in the process of applying for citizenship****
- 20/20 Corrected Vision AND 20/40 Uncorrected Vision*****
- No Felony Convictions
* By time of appointment, a Candidate must have completed 60 Semester Units of study at a state accredited college or universityincluding a minimum of 21 semester units of course work satisfying General Education curriculum standards with courses including Natural Science, Social Science, Mathematics, Language, and Humanities. A degree in Park Administration, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Law Enforcement, or related fields is desirable.
** Note: State Peace Officer mandatory retirement age is 65 years of age. Reference: GC §21132
*** Lifeguards from other outside agencies must complete the department's lifeguard training course.
**** Candidates have three years, per Penal Code §1031.5, to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship from the date of application.
***** Candidates who have LASIK vision correction surgery must have completed a 6-month stabilization period, and candidates who have RK or PRK vision correction surgery must have completed a 12-month stabilization period before being medically eligible for this position.